Sunday, December 1, 2013

Where was I...

Oh right.  Paradise.  Well, all good things must come to an end and we had to end our stint in paradise by taking what felt like a long van ride back to Phnom Penh.  We stopped half way at the same restaurant/rest area place that we had stopped at on the way to Sihanoukville, and, because I really needed to, I used the squat toilet.  PR would be proud.  We got back to Phnom Penh and that is when I discovered my sunburn.  It's not terrible.  I had 50 with me the entire time and took very good care of my face and chest, but I still have this tender souvenir from paradise reminding me that perfect days  do come with tradeoffs.

This morning we ate breakfast at a place called The Shop.  They serve western style food and a lot of it.  I ordered too much:  a mango lassi (like a yogurt shake), yogurt and fruit (love me some yogurt), and an egg/english muffin/ham creation.  It was all quite yummy.

We continued on our journey (via the bikes!) to the Cambodia National Library where the Cambodia Book Fair was being held.  I was excited to see the library as they are few and far between here.  I got to meet Kolap Mao, one of two MLS holding librarians in all of Cambodia.  We talking briefly about librarian training.  The concept of training youth librarians specifically is not really done here as they don't have public libraries like we do and therefore don't have children's libraries at all like we do.  She mentioned that some schools will have seperate libraries for kids and I told her about the one we saw in Siem Reap.  She did say though that there is a need for more training and then said I should apply for a Fullbright scholorship to come here and teach.  Don't worry.  I'm not (seriously) considering it.

I also got to meet a French woman, Anya, who works for an NGO that researches the importance of play for young children...another concept that needs a lot more focus here.  The number of kids who I saw working and selling things on the streets was astounding.  Many children do go to school, but many cannot and regular preschool is reserved for people who can afford it which is certainly not the majority.  

Sammy attended the book fair and got to interview both of the above mentioned women. The book fair itself was tiny by American standards, but had two "stages" for presentations (RM did a presentation on his NGO's digital library), a vendor area where you could buy books and things (all you kids in my life are getting some Khmer kids lit and very strange you will find it, I am sure) and they also had a play area supported by the NGO I mentioned above.  

Here's a brief aside.  RM and I are sitting in a cafe that has donuts.  He is working on his Cambodia blog (http://cambodianbem.wordpress.com for lot of pictures of my visit) and I'm working on mine.  But!  I wanted to mention the ecclectic music that is played all over Cambodia.  Just now it was that song I used to sing all the time..."put another nickle in...in that nickelodeon..."  Last night on the bus it was "Eternal Flame."  Really.  Anything goes.

After the fair, RM had some things to do so I got to hang out with his supervisor, Pinky.  We had arranged this the day before and it worked out great.  She and I went to Wat Phnom, a large and beautiful temple very close to the National Library.  It had beautiful paintings unlike any that I had seen at the Royal Palace.  I asked Pinky why it was important to have SO many Buddha statues and she said that it meant that more power is looking out for you.  

We took my bike and her moto then to Central Market and did some shopping.

Man.  We did some shopping.

She then helped me return my bicycle and took me on back to the apartment.  Pinky and I had a great time.

Tonight we are going out for a nice dinner AND we are going to visit the rooftop bar again (better forecast for tonight.  No rain.)

Then tomorrow I'm going to see the Russia market, get a massage, pack, and head on back to you folks who love and miss me so.

How do I know that you miss me?

Because I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment