Monday, December 2, 2013

Some thoughts as I wait for my first flight...

One of the impressions from Cambodia that is staying with me is the friendliness of the people.  I almost always felt out of my comfort zone while here, but I almost never felt truly unsafe.  I was somewhat lost a few times and people were always happy to help me find my way.  So many strangers smiled at me while on the street.  Kids played with me.  I made at least two meaningful library contacts.  My tuk tuk drivers were always very attentive and buying things at the various markets was always a fun, diverting experience.  Button Cat was appreciated and loved on by many Cambodians.  

They are even generous with their saddest moments.  I'm so glad I had a guide at Tuol Sleng.  I don't think I'll ever forget her comments about how sad life was under the Khmer Rouge and indeed, how her life is still permanently changed because of those years.  She was so personal and patient with my questions.  The Killing Fields is also a place that gives to the visitor.  They have planned this space with walking paths and so many benches along with a first rate audio tour so you can get plenty of information, have time to listen to the information, and do so in relative comfort.  

Of course, many many people saw me and offered me a service because I was obviously on vacation and had money to spend, but I was more than happy to help the economy with my vacation money, and many times, the services offered (tuk tuk, item to buy, restaurant) were things that I was interested in anyway.  People here are just doing their jobs like anywhere else. 

There are, of course, many things that were challenging while I was here.  

There is trash everywhere, but there is also an army of people constantly cleaning it up.  Their signature delta shaped brooms made ouf of straw, sticks, or soft grass were always moving over the tiled sidewalks, brandished by shop keepers, children, property owners, and just people who wanted their little space a little cleaner.  But there's no getting away from the fact that there is a lot of trash that doesn't really get taken care of in a complete manner.

Water.  I never tried drinking the tap water.  I was strongly advised many times not to do this.  I did brush my teeth in it and had tea from it (boiled is okay) but I was always having to make sure that I had water around.  Everytime we took a bus, it was provided.  On all the planes it's been provided.  We even had a tuk tuk driver who gave us water.  But all that bottled water comes at a cost made of up plastic bottles and no flouride in the water supply.  I will say this.  It was cheap.  You could get a 2 litre of water for something like 75 cents.  In Italy Mama Mia and I spend 1.5 euro for the same size and that is very expensive.  

Air.  There is dust.  There is a constant fish-ish smell.  There is exhaust from the tuk tuks, motos, and of course cars.  I did fine when I wore my mast, but I've had a runny nose for days and am starting to develop a cough.  Pretty sure it's from the air.  

Those were the main things.  Of course, the language barrier was a lot more difficult to handle than in Italy.  Not as many people speak English, but I was never in a situation where I couldn't find a solution. The children.  God.  What to say.  Cambodia is a young country.  Remember, a fourth of their population died during the reign of the Khmer Rouge.  Many people are having kids (I saw lots of pregnant women) and many kids sell trinkets on the street.  Tonight when Sok and I were stopped at a stoplight, a small boy stood right by me, put his little hands on my arm rest and just said please over and over again. In Sihanhoukville, I read a sign that said not to buy from children or give anything to children.  It encourages them to stay on the street and not go to school.  What could I do for this little kid?  Nothing.  I looked at him and I said, "try to go to school.  Try to get to school."  I don't even know if he understood me.  

I need to learn more about Buddhism.  I saw it all around me constantly and I know very little about it.  I'm (of course) going to read more about the Khmer Rouge.  I also am hoping to organize a book drive for kids books that I will send to my new librarian friend here.

Missing Thanksgiving was hard, but was made easier by contact from my family.  I am very glad I visited Ohio the weekend before I came to Cambodia.  Christmas will be in full swing when I get home and I know that the craziness of the holidays (particularly all that gift giving) will stike me differently this year than in the past.  Don't get me wrong.  I bought so much here that I could start my own store at home, but Christmas this year for me will be more about the people.  And making things.  I have so many things to create once I get home.  

A few more quick things.  

There are plastic chairs all over this country.  You know the ones.  They are one single piece, are usually white but you can get them in any color, stack easily, and are usually used in the yard.   These are EVERYWHERE here.  Many roadside restaurants have them for their customers.  Customers in places like these are very often friends and family of the owner.  

On my tuk tuk ride to the airport today I saw a sign for International Book Center.  I need to find out more about this organization and what they do.  

On my first flight I have a window.  I love having a window.

Talk to you all in Seoul!

No comments:

Post a Comment