Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

It is Thanksgiving day and we are in a van headed to the coast.  At home people are traveling and getting ready to share a turkey and great family time and, while I will really miss Thanksgiving at home, I am having a nice time here.  This has been an amazing experience, but there are certainly times in life when you wish you could be in two (or three) places at once and now is one of those times.  We heard (in English) on the radio that "It's Thanksgiving Day in the US, so stay tuned and I'll tell you more about Thanksgiving."  We were really looking forward to hearing that intrepretation, but we drove out of range so now we'll never know what that particular Cambodian DJ thinks about American Thankgsiving.  

My phone is barely charged and (again) I've been unable to access wireless on this van despite the fact that it is available, but I can type this now and I can look out the window at the beautiful scenery as we journey to the coast.

I can see some mountains off to my left way in the distance and I've seen a market and houses (long) with a  big deep ditch by the road.  At one part of the ditch, they allowed it to fill with water and a boy is bathing his cow.  Now there are just large swaths of field sprinkled liberally with palm trees and the occasional white water buffalo or cow or whatever they are.  

I'm now going to take a nap (hopefully...many of you know that I cannot read on buses or in cars and vans are the worst).  When next you hear from me we will be at the ocean!

New note:  we've just taken a man break...you know...the kind of stop where you pull off to the side of the road and all the men in the van tumble out to pee against a fence.  I was worried about the weather for a while because it was quite overcast, but now the sun is out and it's beautiful.  The palms on the palm trees seem to be getting bigger and it's starting to look a little more like the images I've seen of Vietnam...quite jungle-y here and there.

Oh, and at our last stop (a charming very rustic cafeteria/restaurant place where we didn't get anything) I went in to check out their toilets and was intrigued to find squat toilets.  Yup.  The bowls were sunk totally into the ground.  No.  I didn't use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment